Wednesday 27 August 2014

Lunch box

My colleagues often ask me how do I get time to cook lunchbox for me and my husband because they do not have time for that in the evening. My colleagues do not have kids and those who are the "busiest" for lunchbox in the evening are single (living on their own). I guess the secret to that is that during the week I only work and do not have social engagements plus I've got a husband who likes homemade cooking (who doesn't?).

I work pretty long hours in comparison with the standard office job. My commute is 1 hour, I start at 8 and I finish later than 6 following the commute mentioned above. Making your own food, I believe, helps me be slim, healthy and give me more energy that a sandwich that people around me normally consume.

I do plan the menu during my weekend and buy groceries online which I already described in another posts of mine. When I come home I wash myself, change into home clothes and immediately put food in the Oven or in the steamer. I am aware of slow cookers and am seriously thinking of getting one quite soon. By putting salmon and rice into the steamer I can do my own things while the steamer does the job for me. All I've got to do is to cut some vegetables for a salad right before serving dinner or I often dry leeks which I like to add to my dishes. I am using the cheapest steamer you can buy in London (Argod basic) as my previous expensive steamers got broken at certain point but this cheap one is durabel.

Fresh pasta is a fantastic dish as well as stir fry which needs 10-15 minutes of your full attention but its still not much. I can't think of a serious reason besides lack of planning that people don't have time to cook. I'd rather cook simple fresh pasta with prawns which takes 5 minutes that eat a ready meal.

Once again planning is the key. You need to plan you grocery shopping in advance, have a list written on your fridge on a postit. I use postit and write a plan for every day supper and lunchbox. All the ingredients are ready and when I come home I know exactly what I will do in the next 5-15 minutes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment